Bradford City Fire Department saves birthday for girl | New
After the destruction and devastation caused by a house fire on North Center Street in Bradford on Sunday morning, the heroic firefighters who put out the flames went further and saved plans for a birthday party 10 year old child.
At 9:47 a.m. on Sunday November 11, the City of Bradford Fire Department was dispatched to 55 Center Street North with a structural fire, reported Captain Mike Scrivo of the City of Bradford Fire Department. .
Upon arrival, Scrivo found flames coming out of a side window and black smoke coming from the rest of the windows and doors in the house.
McKean County Dispatch was notified of an active fire and immediately sent a second alarm for the fire. The second alarm drew all of the Bradford City firefighters, Chief Eric Taylor, the Bradford Township Volunteer Fire Department and the Derrick City Volunteer Fire Department.
The first firefighters on the scene quickly brought down the main body of the blaze, as the standby personnel arrived. According to Scrivo, the house had a lot of empty spaces in the attics, so the side crews worked to open up those areas, inside and out, so water could be administered to prevent the fire to spread.
As the family retreated to safety, Bradford City firefighter Drew Shreve rescued the family’s cat and firefighter Tyler Blair administered oxygen to the cat after the rescue to help stabilize it.
“Once the primary search was completed all occupants were confirmed out of the house and most of the fires were extinguished, firefighter Rob Brinsky noticed there was a table with gifts, balloons and food.” , recalled Mike Campogiani, president of IAFF (International Association of Firefighters) Local 655 and lieutenant paramedic with the Bradford City Fire Department.
Union Vice President Brinksy reported to Taylor what he found in the house. âRob thought we had to replace the presents as they were most likely destroyed by smoke and water damage,â Campogiani said.
According to Campogiani, he spoke with a resident of the house, Roxann, who said they were planning to throw a 10th birthday party for his daughter, August, later in the day.
âI told him that we would like to replace the toys that were destroyed and provide food if needed,â Campogiani said. âWe all agreed that IAFF Local 655 would pay for the freebies. We all thought this was a terrible way to start a 10th birthday party and replacing the presents was the least we could do.
Once the toys were purchased, they were delivered by the service team – Scrivo, Paramedic Brinsky, Firefighter Chris Spaich, Firefighter Nathan Mealy, Firefighter Drew Shreve and Campogiani.
âIt was a great idea from Robbie and everyone involved,â Taylor relayed exuberantly. âI couldn’t be more proud of the department than I was on Sunday! No one was doing this for any recognition, they were doing it because the girls’ birthday gifts were lost in the fire.
Owner Bonnie Austin bought 55 North Center Street just a month ago, according to Montana Moore, Austin’s daughter-in-law, who organized a GoFundMe page to raise awareness and raise funds to support the family.
âThe house is a total loss. He suffered extensive damage from fire, heat and smoke. The owner had no insurance, âTaylor said.
“The fire was investigated by the City of Bradford Fire Department investigation team and was found to be accidental in nature,” Scrivo said.
Anyone who wishes to help this family since, according to Moore, âthe house will most likely be demolishedâ, can do so by visiting https://gofund.me/2c40d11e.